Ms. Dougherty’s Italian Wedding Soup
Authentic family recipe that we serve at holidays, special occasions, and family gatherings. Everyone loves it! Takes a little while to make, but it is totally worth the effort!!!
Prep Time: Varies 20-30 minutes
Cook Time: Total 3-4 hours
Serves: 10-12 easily
- 1 whole chicken
- 5 stalks celery, chopped into small pieces
- 3 medium onions, chopped into small pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2+ Tbsp salt (more or less according to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup Acini de Pepe (pasta)
- 2 cups chopped spinach or fresh endive (endive is better if you can find it)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese, shredded
- 1 to 1-1/2 lbs meatballs (your favorite recipe, cooked – make them very small (1-1-1/2″)
- Place chicken in a large dutch oven or soup pot. Cover with water (I usually fill the pot 3/4 of the way).
- Cook over medium heat until chicken is done and comes off the bones easily, this is usually 2-3 hours.
- Remove the chicken from broth and let cool.
- Remove fat from broth (I usually put the broth in the refrigerator overnight and remove the fat from the top the next day).
- Remove bones and skin from chicken and set chicken aside. Discard bones and skin.
- Return the broth to heat and let it come to a boil.
- Add celery, onion, bay leaf, garlic, salt, pepper, and cook until celery and onion are tender, about 30 minutes
- Remove bay leaf. Add Acini de Pepe and cook until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add spinach or endive.
- Cook 15-20 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of broth and add to beaten eggs, mix.
- Add Romano cheese to broth/egg mixture and blend.
- Slowly return mixture to the pot, stirring well.
- Add chicken and meatballs, cook until heated through.
- Serve in bowls with fresh shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!!
To view all the recipes from the Cooking with Cadet Series please visit cadetathletics.com/cookbook