Ms. Hale’s Layered Sun-Dried Tomato Dip
This is a family favorite at the holidays. When my brother and cousin came home from deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, it was the first dish they requested at a family gathering.
Prep Time/Cook Time/Serves:
It takes about 30 minutes to make this (start to finish). There’s plenty for a small family party.
- 1- 8 oz package of softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup or a little more from a jar of basil pesto
- 1/2 cup of sun-dried tomatoes (if packed in oil, drain the oil and then chop them)
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1- 8 oz container of sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Combine half the cream cheese and all of the pesto, mix well, and spread over the bottom of a small baking dish. 3. Blot excess oil from sun-dried tomatoes, dice them, and grate the parmesan cheese if necessary. Combine the other half of the cream cheese with the tomatoes, parmesan cheese, sour cream, garlic, and the Italian seasoning. Mix well. Spread this mixture on top of the basil mixture in the small baking dish.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
5. Some family members like it if you sprinkle sliced olives, more sun-dried tomatoes, or chopped basil on top when it comes out of the oven.
6. We serve it with whatever crackers we happen to have. It is also good with toasted french bread slices, celery sticks, etc.